Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mothers Day!

My first (official) Mothers Day. The past five and a half months I've had the privilege of being a mommy. It has been the most difficult and rewarding experience of my life. I also learned something about motherhood that I had never thought of before. Apparently in our church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) Mothers Day is a pretty big deal. One of the traditions of most wards is to have a small gift for all the mothers in the ward on Mothers Day. Usually it's a flower or a small chocolate bar, in our ward they gave all the mothers a book called Giver of Life -Lessons From Eve.





'What! My first Mothers Day and no chocolate!?' Actually, this was better. As I read through this small but very enlightening book (it's really more of a pamphlet) the following concept stood out to me.
...When Adam and Eve had partaken of the forbidden fruit, God appeared to them. He cursed the serpent but (quoting from the book) "In contrast to His cursing the serpent, God strengthened and empowered Adam and Eve." He was giving them opportunities for growth, not punishments. Adam would have to work by the "sweat of his face" and to Eve He said "in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children" as it says in Genesis Ch.3. This is the short version but, it just gave me a new perspective, these were actually great blessings. I don't know if I'd really understand this if I'd read it before I became a mother myself. But in all honesty, motherhood is such an opportunity for growth although at times, (giving birth especially) there is quite a bit of sorrow. Just another example of how much God loves us. He blesses us with such marvelous (difficult but wonderful) experiences that, if we are faithful, will strengthen us more than we ever thought possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment